ELIGIBILITY & APPLICATION PROCESS
Learn about our eligibility requirements and the application process for our direct enroll courses and programs. Please note conditions and processes may vary for our Japan and Vietnam programs.
DIRECT ENROLL PROGRAMS
What is a direct enroll program?
A direct enroll program means that you fill out an application directly with Gustolab International to attend an onsite or virtual program. Throughout the application process, you will interact directly with Gustolab International to apply, make payments, confirm travel arrangements, and complete enrollment materials. Gustolab International may administer additional enrollment steps, depending on the needs of each student.
What is an onsite program?
An onsite program is held in person at one of our locations. We currently have Spring, Summer and Fall programs. Program dates are usually as follows:
Spring: January – May
Summer: May- July
Fall: September- December
Who can apply
We welcome applications from university students (both undergraduate and graduate) and independent scholars or professionals from all fields of study.
Eligibility requirements for students enrolled at an academic institution
Gustolab International requires a 2.5 GPA, and a good academic and social standing at your home university. We advise that you talk with your advisor regarding studying abroad and credit recognition. Please contact us if you have any questions.
For our academic internships, only Juniors, Seniors, and Graduate students can apply. If you are a Freshman or Sophomore and would like to petition to apply, please contact us.
You will have the opportunity to speak with a member of GLi’s staff to find courses & internship placements that best match your academic and personal goals.
We usually require all applicants to fill out
- An application form that includes the submission of a letter specifying academic and personal goals. There is no application fee.
- Applicants interested in an academic internship will also need to submit a resume (CV) and 1-2 reference forms.
- If you are a student enrolled at an academic institution you will be required to submit a form that is related to your standing at your university and transfer of credits (if applicable). We will provide the form.
- You will be required to submit a wellness and housing form for our onsite programs.
We will conduct a brief online interview with applicants interested in onsite academic internships to understand needs and expectations.
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis. The recommended deadline for applying are:
For Spring: September 15
For Summer: February 15
For Fall: February 15
Applicants are encouraged to apply by the recommended deadline, as there are several advantages to doing so including receipt of an admissions decision early enough to allow for sufficient travel planning time to save on airline tickets, and sufficient visa processing time.
Please contact us if you need to request an extension.
Once you are admitted into our programs, you will be asked to commit by paying a non-refundable deposit. You will also be asked to complete and submit additional documentation such as:
- a waiver
- privacy related forms
- Covid-19 related forms
- code of conduct related forms
- proof of insurance. Learn more
What happens after I commit?
We will start working with you to plan your travel to your onsite location. This includes
- Visa planning, if necessary. Learn more
- Travel planning
- Providing placement options for applicants interested in onsite academic internships
- Predeparture orientation
- Finalizing your payment. Learn more
Contact us if you do not fulfill the requirements listed above or need an extended application deadline.
CUSTOMIZED FIELD SCHOOLS
If you are a student attending one of the following universities below, there is a separate application procedure in place for you directly through your university. Please get in touch with your study abroad office or contact us.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Fall, Summer or Spring Programs in Rome with Gustolab International
- University of Illinois GIES School of Business Spring Break program with Gustolab International
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges Fall or Spring program in Rome with Gustolab International
- Auburn University Mediterranean Diet Short summer program with Gustolab International
- Cornell University (College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Global Fellows Program)